Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Gibraltar: The Cake

Regina had this famous sour cream pound cake that she made for almost every occasion...birthdays, holidays, teacher appreciation week at school, vacations, whatever.  I think it may have been her mother's recipe.  That cake was so good we would even eat it for breakfast.  It was filled with lots of butter, sugar, and all around goodness.  I can remember when I was little sitting in our harvest gold kitchen (think kitchen design from the 1970's) and watching her make it.  She'd pour the batter into this avocado green bunt pan (again think circa 1975 style) and throw it in the oven.  Now the key for a pretty Sour Cream Cake is to put Crisco all in the pan then douse it with flour.  That way it won't stick and will come out brown and beautiful. 

We celebrated my sister Amanda's birthday this weekend (Happy 27th sissy) and she wanted Mom's cake.  Amanda has become a pro at making that cake...well except for the first time when she thought it was a good idea to substitute Splenda for real sugar.  Note: when you are making this cake don't try to cut calories anywhere---it won't work.  Use real sugar, real butter, real eggs.

This time the cake Man made was fantastic.  She forgot to use Crisco, but it still tasted the same as it always did with Mom. She follows a recipe card filled out in Mom's chicken scratch that gives step by step directions.  I asked Man to email me the directions as I still don't think I'm ready to read that recipe in her writing...maybe reading it through email will better.

This weekend I plan to go out to Home Goods and buy my own bunt pan.  I'll start my Sour Cream Cake tradition, and let the smell of that baking cake bring back so many wonderful memories.

In case you want to enjoy pure goodness, here you go!  Try it with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream. 

Here's what the Sour Cream Cake looks like
 
Regina's Sour Cream Cake
2 Sticks Butter
3 Cups Sugar
3 Cups Plain Flour
1 tsp Salt
6 Eggs
1/4 tsp Soda
1 tsp Vanilla (mom always added 2 or 3)
1/2 pint Sour Cream

Sift and measure flour.  Sift again with salt and soda.

Let butter get a little soft.  Put eggs out to get to room temperature.  Cream butter and sugar and then add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.  

Add dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream (1/3 flour, 1/2 sour cream).  Mix well.

Bake in lightly greased 10" tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.


1 comment:

  1. I would happily taste test this for you.

    ReplyDelete